Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Na-na-nahh-na, na-na-nahh-na...

I am surprised by what I knew and didn't know about Web 2.0. I am sure I was not the only one who became completely engrossed in many of these fun tools.

I have come away with some new toys (Pandora, Del.icio.us & Rollyo) that I will use on a regular basis. And some (Sandboxes, Technorati & Bloglines) that will never be looked at again. And a greater appreciation for bloggers. It's hard to come up with something that others will want to read. Being required to blog gives a different purpose than your average blogger.

I've also enjoyed reading others blogs and I will continue to read them as we all discover new things. I enjoyed finding what interested them and even finding something that interested me at the sites they explored. For example, Justine R's SpringWidgets site, led me to get the following widget.

Cool.
A lot of the sites we've "played" with have made me nostalgic. And has showed me a different side of technology. But as I've said before. Maybe knowing what's out there will open the eyes of TPTB (an Angel reference) to what WE need to enhance our web presence. Of course, I'm great at saying what we
should be doing. But it's true. I'm not the only one thinking this. I'm sure others are coming to this conclusion as well. in fact, Joe said it well in his post.

There are so many practical uses for these "things" were are exposing ourselves to. Many of our customers are familiar with them, and as we strive to be better information professionals, we need to be able show them that HCL is following right along with them on their own technological journey.

Will I continue blogging? Maybe, it's a fun way to vent. Will I think that others will WANT to read my blog? No, no illusions of self-importance here. Will I continue searching out new forms of web technology? definitely. In fact, I look forward to finding new ways to use those 123 sites, if only to show some to the people I work with and serve. And I would love to do more of this on a regular basis.

OK to reiterate what I've written in another post....

IMO (in my opinion) we, meaning HCL, are truly behind the times when it comes to web presence. RSS feeds and ebooks are a great start, but our names need to be out there
[podcasts, book review blog, MySpace, YouTube, SecondLife, wikis]
Getting us the recognition that we deserve. We need to have a teen page devoted to our web generation. As our patrons come to us for help, we really need to be broader in our knowledge of today's technology.

So on that note, I have just one more thing to say.....
hey, hey, hey...goodbye!

mission complete

2 comments:

Beth Mitchell said...

Denise,
One of the most helpful pieces of this exercise has beeen reading other folks blogs.

You have been very conscientious about posting relevant, and most helpful posts.

I just enjoy hanging out at your blog.
So I hope this isn't a final goodbye.
Cheers,
Beth Mitchell

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.